Immigration Questions

Lately, we have been looking at how immigration has shaped Australia and its culture. We had to create questions for people in our lives who had come to Australia to find out about their journey.

Here are some of the questions we asked. We would love it if you yourself have come to Australia and could answer these questions too!

1. Where is your home country?
  2. What was the main reason that you left your country?
  3. What was the hardest thing about leaving your country? Did you leave anyone behind?
  4. What was it like in your home country? What is different about living in Australia?
  5. Was it hard to assimilate into Australia culture?
  6. Did you speak another language in your home country? Was it difficult to learn English?
  7. Did you live in another country before settling in Australia?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!

One thought on “Immigration Questions

1. 1. United States of America
    2. I left the US and moved to Australia because my wife is Australian.
    3. The hardest thing about leaving was the people I left behind. My parents, brother and all my good friends were still in the US.
    4. It’s not too different living in the US – you would see what it’s like on all the TV shows that air in Australian. It’s the little things that took some getting used to – driving on the opposite side of the road, and shops that close at 6 pm instead of staying open all night!
    5. It wasn’t too hard to assimilate, although I never lost my American accent and doubt I ever will.
    6. English is my first language. There are many Americans who also speak Spanish, including myself.
    7. No, I moved to Australia from the US.

Jonathan Hart, Perth, WA